A Nude Advertisements Experiment
Last summer at FKK Upstate NY we determined to try a crosscultural ( nudie / non-nudie ) experiment. We wanted to get the word out about the coming Northeast Naturist Festival which we at FKK Upstate NY attended and did four successful workshops there.
So the naked advertising experiment we decided to attempt is public promotion of the function. We took two sorts of fliers out and went door to door (Main Street businesses) to spread them. One flier had a nudie group image of 50 nude participants from last year’s occasion. The other flier had only text describing the function in general terms, and a line at the bottom explaining that it’d be held at a nudist park. We solicited passers by and went to three types of establishments and requested permission to exhibit the fliers in their own shops / places of business. As well as the random passers-by, the three kinds of companies approached were:
1) Local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms. These farms generally have a lot more than a hundred families and individuals who visit weekly. They’re like mini-communities. They are typically of an alternate, more liberal mindset in relation to the public. Lots of nuts and yogurt’ bunch, and granola heads, etc.
2) Main Street retail stores selling various goods, visited by everyone.
3) Decidedly option, or hippie stores, seen by well . . . Mainly hippies, or alternative kinds.
Nude Advertisements & Marketing Naturism
The reactions were enormously different and a bit surprising. The CSA owners, who one would believe are of the general right mindset to be open for naturism / nudity (natural, open-minded, back to nature, wholesome food etc.) were visibly surprised, even fairly shocked I could say, at our request. It was as if they hadn’t ever heard of naturism at all, and the idea of nudity place them ill at ease. They’d not show the flier with nudity for concern with backlash from parents / kids. They admitted most folks would be open to it, but they simply d read ed the ten percent that wouldn’t. It would be bad for business.
The mainstream type shops were also taken aback and surprised about the flier with nudity – they couldn’t get past the nudie picture to even consider the actual nature of the event. But when presented with the text-based flyer – no nude jpg – they were quite open and I ‘d no trouble getting five flyers into mainstream / road stores for display – even when I clearly described it was a NUDIST event. I got lots of smiles, friendly responses, and immediate cooperation.
Passers by on the road – I just approached them naturally and confidently. I just said, Here is something you might be interested in – it’s our annual bare stock!’ I was met with friendly smiles, chuckles, and more general interest than disbelief. I discovered that x nudists was fulfilled with a positive effect. Folks typically thanked me for the advice, and indicated they would really consider it and possibly attend. Would they? Perhaps some will in the future. Certainly next time they encounter something to do with naturism they will recall a positive, confident dialog, and therefore hopefully be more open.
Eventually, as one would expect, all the hippie / alternative organizations consented without hesitation to show the flier with the naked image. One person even said, “That’s how I prefer to be [naked] . . .” She put out a whole batch of the fliers right on the front counter. Actually they all did!
Well, what did we learn from this little exercise? First a disclaimer – my sample set wasn’t huge – so data are out of the question. However, sociologically speaking it was a valuable learning experience, and fun. Below are some decisions:
1) you shouldn’t be scared to talk openly and confidently about naturism. Most individuals, even if surprised, settle down and are astonishingly OPEN. If you’re confident, and symbolize naturism as the healthy normal and interesting action it is, they will resonate with the same openness. If you are tentative, timid, fearful, or seem embarrassed they will not take naturism. It’s funny, because as a farmer and horse owner, I will let you know it is the same with your livestock. If you ride your horse with anxiety the horse is frightened and spooky. If you ride with confidence the horse learns to trust you and is assured in response to your own queues.
2) As I address within my fourth sex favorable blog, “in your face” activism is chilling, even shocking, and offensive to many. They desire the choice and freedom to decide how they would like to view and respond to nudity – they usually do not need it shoved in their own faces. If you give them that choice (fliers without bare pictures) they are open, and you might have a terrific possibility of winning them around. If you try to drive nudity, (photos or possibly live, in the wrong context), you get a TON more resistance, and you may be turning folks away. Remember, people desire exactly the same alternative you desire – no one likes to be dragged against their will to anything, particularly when it is as sensitive as nudity.
3) In my first sex-favorable site I talked about nudie/non-nudie, dialog as “cross-cultural.” I learned quite clearly from this experiment, that we must be really culturally sensitive in how we approach the public. There’s absolutely no consistent “mainstream America.” America consists of unending ethnic niches. One must learn to identify them and customize the manner we present naturism and nudity to them, to be able to win more folks for naturism. A “one size fits all” approach is not proper. The hippie / substitute establishments reacted very differently than the usual retail outlet, or CSA, aimed at the general public. In like fashion it is distinct being unclothed in Central Park vs. Wall Street. We can do a lot of great, or lots of damage, by the way we “read” the cultural niche we’re addressing.
I hope these thoughts encourage you to be more active in acquiring people for naturism, and help you think about how you are doing it, so as to be most effective. Lots of this is based on the theory’ I ‘m laying out in my own sex positive blogs, so check those out – they’ll help place more context for this discussion, and future sites I’m planning.
FKK Upstate NY will be attending the Northeast Naturist Festival and doing a workshop again this year. The festival will take place from July 29 – August 3, 2014 at Empire Haven in Moravia, New York.
Young Naturists and Naturists America
Tags: activism, children and youngsters, clubs and resorts, culture, festivals, hippies, new york, bare pictures
Type: Nudist Site, Public Nudity and Being Naked In Public, Social Activism
About the Author (Author Profile)
We’re Steve and Susanne, leaders of the FKK Upstate New York Chapter. We love the independence, rest, and healing power of naturism, and are interested in sharing our experiences with others. Please see our Facebook page facebook.com/FKKupstateny to get acquainted or join in any of our activities.
A Nude Advertisements Experiment